Where is your journey taking you? What is your destination? If your first thought is a vacation spot, that’s fine, but not what I’m referring to this time.
The John Maxwell Team recently hosted the annual Live2Lead (L2L) event and the first virtual. My personal, focused leadership journey began there. This is my fourth L2L. To be honest, as crazy as things have been, I wasn’t sure about committing five hours to it. As typically happens, I wish it would have gone another five hours. When the student is ready, the teacher shows up.
Not that you asked, but here are my key takeaways (can’t wait to listen to it again):
- The dream is free, but the journey isn’t (reinforced later by Steve Harvey)
- If you aren’t happy where you are, you won’t be happy where you are going.
- Compounding of effort is lost when you quit.
- We’re in the game because we’re the only hope for people.
- Those closest to the action (family) or transaction (business) know well before the leader.
- Be more excited than scared.
- Don’t let where you came from define you (reinforced by Steve Harvey).
- Anticipate rather than react.
- The way you are doing it will not work forever.
- We reach people wherever and whoever they are through opportunity.
- A career is what you are paid for; a calling is what you are made for.
- No hole is too deep for anyone.
- Don’t be a “thumb gangsta” (social media)
- I know who I am and whose I am.
I hope your journey takes you our of your comfort zone, through fear, and into learning and growth.